Fornenst the Castle there is still something left of romantic Cathcart. In Court Knowe one may quietly stroll or sit and muse over past events when knights went forth and the ill-fated Queen perhaps stood on this very spot to view the Battle of Langside.
When the hawthorn bush known as "Queen Mary's Thorn" withered away about 1799, General Sir George Cathcart erected the first monument - a rough block of Giffnock freestone - on which he himself carved a crown, the letters M.R. and the year 1568. This is now on view in the People's Palace, Glasgow Green. The present monument was gifted by Lord Cathcart, the General's nephew.
As mentioned earlier, the road from Delvin Road to the Castle was originally the "Rhannan" and the spring which used to flow by the roadside (before the villas were built, and at No 157 approx.) was called the Rhannan Well and sometimes Queen Mary's Well, as this lady was supposed to have sipped of the waters here.
The road was considerably widened when the villas were built by Mr Dick, but previously it was about 22 feet wide, bordered by hawthorn hedges and underfoot extremely rough-going. Solid rock protruded, particularly in front of the Castle, and not at all suitable in our time for high heels or pram pushing. However it was a pleasant Sunday walkway.
Sir Walter Scott in "The Abbot", one of his famous Waverley Novels, placed the Queen as viewing the Battle of Langside from Crookston Castle but all are agreed this was in error since no part of Langside could be seen from there.
The quater-centenary of Langside (recognised by an exhibition at Camphill Museum for which credit must go to the boys and staff of Hutcheson's Grammar School) caused both young and old to wonder what led to this affray.
Langside could be regarded as a battle mainly betweent the old order and the new in religious matters, with side issues to complicate the whole grim business.
The Regent Moray, half brother of the Queen, had received information that she intended marching from Hamilton to the security of Dumbarton Castle by way of Langside, Crookston and Paisley on May 13th, 1568. Had not Argyll, who was in command of Mary's forces, taken ill suddenly earlier that day, the results might have been different although it has been hinted that this illness was feigned since Argyll was related to the Regent, yet another instance of the treachery and intrigue surrounding a Queen who lived before her time.
Mary's army, composed mainly of Hamiltons and numbering thousands, took up position on Clincart Hill (Langside College) to face the Regent's much smaller army on Langside Hill. The Regent was fortunate in having skilled men at his side, one, the celebrated Kircaldy of Grange, the finest Scottish soldier of his time. He led the attack down the narrow main street of Langside. The Hamilton men fought valiantly; not so Argyll's men who, leaderless and undisciplined, took to their heels. The battle did not last one hour and was over by 10 a.m.
The Queen, viewing the scene (from Court Knowe?), mounted her horse and rode into battle in an effort to encourage and rally her troops but the situation was hopeless. All chances of regaining power now forever dashed, she fled to England to her cousin Queen Elizabeth where further imprisonment and eventually execution awaited her.
Sir William Semple on whose lands the battle was fought resided in Cathcart Castle at the time. His wife was a daughter of the aforesaid Kircaldy of Grange and Sir William with his tenants fought on the right wing of the Regent's forces as also did Lord Cathcart.
Court Knowe, numerous streets, Queen's Park and the monument on Langside Hill commemorate this eventful day. In such a busy thoroughfare as Battlefield where undivided attention must be given to the traffic, who now stops to read the inscription on the library wall or pauses to reflect that on this ground happened one of the turning pOints in our national history?
There is an old tradition that the slain, being papists, were not allowed to be buried in the parish churchyard but were interred in marsh ground at Camphill, known afterwards as the "Devil's Kirkyard". On the south side of Camphill Church remains of bodies and weapons of war were found when the pond nearby was constructed.
Whether Mary, Queen of Scots, ever stood on Court Knowe or whether it took its name from the place where justice was administered in feudal times (in the Castle courtyard or "court"), we should be grateful to the two gallant gentlemen who were determined its historic significance should not be forgotten.
MALL'S MYRE
Malsmire, spelled in so many different ways, is remembered as the place where the Queen's horse stumbled when she fled southwards after the Battle. Today the only reminder is a public house of that name in Polmadie Road, other than a small waterway known locally as Jenny's Burn. Mall's Mire was on the estate of Castlemilk - and Menock Road was formerly Malsmire Road (and Pit Road) as it led to the Crookston Coal Pit. A toll house stood at the corner of Carmunnock Road and Menock Road.
Polmadie in early 12th Century was Polmade, in 1318 was Polmade and in 1654 Polmadie. The name is said to mean "pool or burn in the field of God" (or according to Jack House in his "Heart of Glasgow", as "pool of the wolves"). So any explanation regarding this name being derived from the royal incident of the Queen and her horse is obviously incorrect).
THE HUNDRED ACRE HILL AND DYKE
Before it passes into oblivion a word or two about this well-known landmark of yesteryear. The "Hill" is more or less completely covered by residential King's Park and King's Dyke, King's Acre and Curtis Avenues are all that remind us of a folly.
The story goes that the laird on whose ground the "Hill" was situated enjoyed many a convivial meeting with his contemporaries. In the early 19th Century to be a "gentleman" it was qUite in order to get drunk at least once each day. During one of these "sessions" discussion arose as to how much ground would be covered by one hundred acres. The laird was easily talked into building a wall to enclose this area - and he did just that! Work began in 1806 and cost the laird £30,000 which ruined him completely. There seems to be a moral in this story somewhere!
Meikle-Aikenhead or Baird's Farm on top of the Hundred Acre Hill was also a well-known landmark for years, but it too has disappeared along with four dilapidated little houses given the name of the "Eternity'Cottages". Before they were built the laird's factor had been negotiating with him for some time over this piece of ground. All seemed to be going quite well and the factor duly returned home. Suddenly he rushed back to the landlord's house, he having by this time retired for the night, and on rousing him the factor said It's me, laird! Aboot that lease, the contract has been drawn oot for nine hundred and ninety-nine years, and when the lease fa's oot, I waant the first chance o' the renewal!"
(from Gartshore's "Cathcart Memories")