Linn Park et alia loca
Sponsored by the Linn Park Gentlemen's Walking Club

In Glasgow's parks the entertainers once held sway, and concert parties and military or works bands visited regularly each week. Admission charges were moderate but more people listened outwith the enclosure than inside - consequently Music in the Parks became a losing proposition. The Linn Park bandstand has been removed and in its place is housed the Children's Zoo.

Whether imagination or not, we no longer seem to have those long balmy evenings for sitting out of doors for any length of time. An occasional act or artist comes to mind, and one clearly remembers Arthur Askey, the comedian known for his catch phrase - "I thang you!" On confirming this with Mr Askey, he replied that his first two years of 'Showbiz' were spent touring the parks of Glasgow. He recalls in particular Kelvingrove and the University clock booming every quarter just as he cracked his best gags! (Dare it be mentioned that that was in the late 1920s?)

With television and transistors, today's sophisticated youngsters would have little time for pierrots or band concerts unless accompanied by the magic of the 'beat group'. Television has changed the habits of many. The popularity of the cinema has declined and where we in Cathcart had a choice of half a dozen picture houses, all within reasonable distance - The George; Kingsway, Mayfair, Florida, State and Toledo - only the Mayfair and Toledo remain, and at the time of writing the fate of the latter hangs in the balance. Before the 'Cathcart Bowl' opened in 1965 the building had been the local cinema. It closed during July and August because good weather kept away'the patrons!
(Those summers must have been better) .

In the days of silent films the Cathcart Picture House could boast its own orchestra - Willie Wilson's 6-piece Band. In a recent conversation with Mrs Archibald Cameron (Nan Hetherton that was) she told of how, as relief pianist, she played suitable music for ha1f-an-hour each evening and also at the Saturday matinee. She then had to dash over to the Waverley Cinema. Shawlands, to repeat the performance there. As no buses served this route she had to walk every night in hail, rain or shine. An accomplished pianist, for all this she received the princely sum of ten shillings per week - and had to supply her own music. One manager would tell her in no uncertain manner, when her selection was becoming stale!

Talkies arrived and after alterations the Cathcart P.H. was renamed the Rialto and later the George. Now,it is a five-pin Bowling Centre and the Kingsway has changed to a Bingo Hall. Lantern lectures, Band of Hope soirees, kinder-spiels (no, not Princess Chrysanthemum again, please!) - all these belong to a by-gone era although church youth organisations are ever to the fore, working hard to help the young in group activities.

The Holm1ea Tennis Courts and Bowling Greens are not so crowded any more. With the successes in the tennis world of Clarkston young lady, Miss Winnie Shaw, a revival in inter-city or even inter-district championships might have been hoped for; but perhaps some day .....?

One spot always well patronised is the 'Swing Park' which gives continued enjoyment and healthy exercise. Do kiddies still have the measure of the watchman? One 'watchie' you knew to obey instantly, while another could be ignored for a little time but then had to be obeyed or else ....

This ground was gifted by Sir John Stirling Maxwell in 1914, the Corporation providing the recreational facilities. The bowling greens were added later. Cathcart Private Bowling Club dates from 1889 and a curious feature emerges in that the neighbouring greens all opened at intervals of ten years: Newlands in 1899, Mount Florida in 1909, Weir's Recreation Club 1919, Kingswood 1929.

Reverting to the differences between then and now, we were lucky to have so much space to play and roam within sight of our homes. Spare ground on either side of the 'Swings' provided lots of room for ball games without fear of broken windows or damage to passers-by or property. At the foot of Tulloch Street a storage yard of sorts was known locally as the 'barricades' and could have been classed as an adventure playground if the phrase had then existed - we only knew it as a good place for climbing.

The back park (ahint Holmlea Road) was full of dens and hides until such spoil-sports as Gilbert Austin Ltd (now Anderson & King), the Civil Defence and others moved in. Boys tended then to group together as now, one street challenging another, but it was a friendly rivalry by comparison and no bad blood was spilled. Deteriorating back-courts, cramped garden space and roads clogged with private cars, leave little room today to release children's unbounding energy.

It is a happy change, however, to see the observance of such events as Christmas, even if over commercialised. The number of windows brightly lit with trees of varying sizes in homes of varying sizes, never fail to surprise and delight. It is also a happy change that the 'fever van' which we recognised as distinct from the ambulance and 'Belvedere', are words no longer on the lips of the young. Here, perhaps, is the cue to remember the few so necessary and important in every community - our doctors.

For close on 60 years Dr R. Murray-Lyon regularly made his calls, first by pony and trap and then by car, always seated beside his chauffeur Dingwall so much a part of the Cathcart scene. The Doctor's rather stern and forbidding appearance made many a young patient quail but not for long. Underneath that grim exterior lay a very kindly and compassionate gentleman. His son, Dr David, continues as faithfully to attend successive generations. Not for nothing the Murray-Lyons have been tabbed 'the Deliverers of Cathcart'. The untimely death of Dr Bremner was a sad blow. Meanwhile Dr Hay and Dr Hutchison carry on the good work in the footsteps of those medicos of yesteryear, Doctors Jack, Gray and McKinnon.

The Clean Air Act of 1956 resulted in this area becoming a smokeless zone by 1966. Great are the possibilities of this smoke free city of the future.

When Cathcart was absorbed by Glasgow, the local police strength was increased by one sergeant - viewed at the time with mixed feeling, this being a very law-abiding district. 'Old Hughie' and 'Jokey Simpson' were kenspeckle figures long before 'John Bull' and 'Swanky Joe'. No ordinary beat cops these, they were an institution. Apart from the points-duty policeman recently ousted from his position by traffic lights, we no longer know our 'bobbies'.

Familiar faces together with the joy of belonging or fitting-into a place engenders that friendly atmosphere in a district (or city). There are those who say that Cathcart is not the close-knit community it used to be. Yet, if one reflects on our history, has it not been the incomer who on being accepted has made the most impact?

Without hesitation we have found ourselves saying, "Oh, yes, he belongs to Cathcart". Take for example the Matrunolas. Between them, father and son have been the local barber and ladies hairdresser for 60 years, and during the last war it pleased us to hear that 'Fernie' Matrunola, while serving at HQ SACSEA, often was called on to give 'short back and sides' to no less a personage than the Supremo himself, Earl Mountbatten of Burma.

What a pity that so little folklore has been retained of the 'old' families like the Hamiltons, Hopes, Macindoes, Peddies, Stirlings, Maxwells .....