It is only fair to say that no inside information has been sought or gained regarding any local firm, and that this chapter relates only to items thought to be of general interest.
Towards the end of last century, apart from the paper mills, Geddes Dye-Works and Carpet Factory offered the main employment to Cathcart. This firm, along with the Creamery and several smaller firms, were concentrated on the ground now occupied by the tenements of Holmhead Crescent, Holmhead Place, Holmhead Park, etc.
This centre of industry was flanked by the workers' cottages each having their own little plot of ground, and very attractive it must have looked, particularly alongside the River Cart. Mr John Geddes built "Thornbank", the self-contained and latterly derelict house at the corner of Clarkston Road and Monreith Road East, now a block of luxury flats. His brother William resided in "Holmhead House" at the top of Rhannan Road.
In 1886, when the Geddes works were on the way out, Weir's works'were very much on the way in. Marine engineer consultants, George and James Weir, restricted by the manufacturers of their various patents, opened a small factory here in Cathcart. The success of this venture was due mainly to the inventive genius of James Weir. During the 1914-18 war, in addition to marine and naval work, the factory made shells and gun carriages, also aero fuselages and engine cylinder blocks. In the 20s and 30s the company expanded, acquiring firms in Glasgow and London engaged on similar work.
During the early 1930s a strange-looking machine - the Auto-girb - was seen flying around and on this Weir's carried out development and research work, later progressing to helicopters. Without doubt James G. Weir was a key figure in helicopter flight. To perpetuate his name Strathclyde University have named their Montrose Street extension the James Weir Building.
This same gentleman had the distinction of being the great-great-grandson of Robert Burns.
G & J Weir have made a world-wide name for themselves in marine, power-station, oil industry and condensing plant, and thus brought Cathcart to the knowledge of men in every quarter of the globe.
In the last war in addition to marine, naval and industrial work, Weir's were also engaged in producing the carriage and recoil system of the famous 25lb field gun. Now in addition to its main products the firm makes sea-water distilling plant and high-pressure compressors.
For many years Weir's timely horn was followed later by the shrill notes from Wallace Scott's Tailoring Institute. To look at, this building represented one's idea of the model factory in a garden. Its architect was J.J. Burnett, afterwards Sir James Burnett, who became one of the best known architects of his time. Now the area is the property of the South of Scotland Electricity Board and we watch:and await the changes taking place.
While the Depression of the 1930s had an adverse effect on heavy engineering, the Macfarlane Engineering Company in Netherlee Road fared better than others by pioneering and developing specialised electrical work in arc welding and laboratory plant. Set up in 1911 by five brothers, it is still very much a family concern. The former chairman, Mr James C. Macfarlane (who died in 1967 aged 91), designed and manufactured (not in Cathcart) the generator used by Marconi to send the first wireless signal across the Atlantic from Poldhu in Cornwall and was himself present at the historic event. The present chairman, Dr James W. Macfarlane is County Convener of Renfrewshire.